A chronicle of my attempt at writing, recording, and performing music.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Got My First Real Six String

Oh boy, I see I'm making this long winded. Ok, I'll speed it up a bit.

While I was beginning collecting and listening to recorded music, my own musicality was pretty low. I had quit piano lessons, I had quit tenor saxophone in junior high band, and I just wasn't very interested in any of that. Around the time I was getting into the classic rock/heavy metal stuff, I asked my dad to show me how to play his bass guitar.

This was different than piano lessons or saxophone. This was fun. I even got to the point I could kind of play along with songs on my boom-box. Then a friend of mine showed me his brand new Fender Stratocaster. I now wanted to play guitar.

My dad wasnt so keen on buying me a guitar, after being burnt on the piano lessons and the saxophone. So he made me a deal. I would learn on his brother's guitar for 6 months, and if I was still interested after that, he would buy me my own guitar. It was the incentive I needed. I played everyday and became a decent beginning player. And after 6 months, he took me down to the music store and bought me my own guitar. The Fender USA Bullet. Before too long, I was power-chording along with my AC/DC and Judas Priest tapes. Not exactly what he had in mind, but at least I was playing.

Then, on a basketball team bus to Elk Mound, WI, someone gave me a tape that changed my ideas about music. A little E.P, called The Replacements Stink.

aw crap...not even half done. hang in there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home